Home l Introduction l Training Calendars l Course Catalog l Announcements l Training Requirements
Foster Parent College l Conference/Super Saturday Events l Resource Parent PATH Videos
Training Contact Information l Resources
The Resource Parent Training Program offers learning opportunities that support adoptive, foster and kinship parents in their effort to provide a safe, nurturing and loving environment for the children in their care.
Training goals include:
- To give resource parents the information needed to handle routine matters such as medical and psychological care, clothing needs, education, and visitation with the birth family.
- To provide foster parents with the skills needed to handle problems as they arise.
- To develop problem-solving and teamwork skills.
- To teach resource parents the required ethical and legal standards for compliance.
- To assist resource parents in anticipating the negative, critical or distrustful attitudes that foster children often exhibit.
- To identify elements of the foster child’s behavior that can be attributed to the experience of being a foster child.
- To share with prospective resource parents the experiences of veteran resource parents with particular emphasis on building positive relationships with birth families and DCS staff.