It was abolished in 1919 and incorporated into
Hamilton County where its records are held.
The county seat was Ooltewah.
SELECTED PUBLISHED COUNTY HISTORIES
- *James County : A Lost County of Tennessee (Donnelly, 1983) [name index]*
PUBLISHED LOCAL RECORDS
- 1880 Census, James County, Tennessee (Sistler, 1991) [alphabetical by head of household]*
- James County, TN Marriages, 1913-1919 (Douthat, 1986) [surname index]*
LOCAL RECORDS ON MICROFILM
Most James County records were destroyed by fire. A few scattered records are stored at the Hamilton County courthouse and the Chattanooga Bicentennial Library. An inventory of microfilmed James County records is available on our web site. Individual reels of microfilm may also be purchased.
- Census on microfilm for James County: 1880, 1900-1910
- State-wide census index: 1880
- State-wide census index on microfilm (Soundex): 1880, 1900-1910
- James County census records in book form: 1880*
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR JAMES COUNTY
* Indicates this title may be borrowed on Interlibrary Loan from TSLA.
Updated September 17, 2013