Information on the Closing of ITT Technical Institute
Students: Keep up with the latest information
To keep up-to-date on information as it is made available, please fill out this form and we will send you the latest updates and information as we have it.
If you have any questions, please contact the Tennessee Higher Education Commission’s Division of Postsecondary State Authorization at 615-741-5293.
Additionally, you can check the following page from the U.S. Department of Education for updates and information: studentaid.ed.gov/itt. Additionally, the U.S. Department of Education has a page answering Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the closure: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/about/announcements/itt/fa
Information for Specific Colleges and Universities
Art Institute of Tennessee
The Art Institute of Tennessee will be holding an open house for ITT Technical Institute students on Wednesday, September 14 from 9 am until 5 pm at 100 Centerview Drive, Suite 250 in Nashville. Students can meet with an admissions representative and a financial aid advisor. Students should bring a copy of their transcript with them.
Bethel University is holding a series of online and virtual information sessions specifically for ITT Tech students.
To register for the virtual sessions: https://betheluniversity.clickmeeting.com/info-session
To RSVP for face-to-face sessions at the Nashville, Chattanooga, and Memphis Campus locations: http://bethelsuccess.net/upcoming-events/
- Thursday, September 29th Memphis: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Saturday, October 1st Nashville and Chattanooga: 9:30 - 10:30 am
- Monday, October 3rd Virtual: 10 am - 11 am, Chattanooga: 11 am - 12 pm and 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 4th Memphis: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm (luncheon), Nashville: 5 pm - 7 pm
- Wednesday, October 5th Virtual: 2 pm - 3 pm
- Thursday, October 6th Memphis: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Monday, October 10th Virtual: 1 pm - 2 pm
- Tuesday, October 11th Nashville: 5 pm - 7 pm , Chattanooga 10:30 am - 11:30 am and 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm, Memphis: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 12th Memphis: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Thursday, October 13th Chattanooga: 11 am - 12 pm, Memphis: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Saturday, October 15th Chattanooga: 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- Monday, October 17th Virtual: 10 am - 11 am, Chattanooga: 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 18th Nashville: 5 pm - 7 pm, Memphis: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm (luncheon)
- Wednesday, October 19th Chattanooga: 10:30 am - 11:30 am, Memphis: 12:00 pm- 2:30 pm
- Thursday, October 20th Memphis: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Monday, October 24th Virtual: 10 am - 11 am
- Tuesday, October 25th Chattanooga: 10:30 am - 11:30 am and 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 26th Virtual: 4 pm - 5 pm, Memphis: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Thursday, October 27th Nashville: 5 pm - 7 pm, Memphis: 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
The on-campus location for Nashville is 1801 West End Avenue, 3rd Floor Auditorium, Nashville, TN 37203. Chattanooga's location is at 6397 Lee Hwy. Suite 100, Chattanooga, TN 37421. The Memphis location is at 5885 Ridgeway Center Parkway, Memphis, TN 38120.
Chattanooga State Community College
Chattanooga State Community College has issued a release with information for ITT Technical Institute students.
Cleveland State Community College
Cleveland State Community College set up a website for ITT Tech students www.clevelandstatecc.edu/itt.
Additionally, students are welcome to attend an open house at ITT Tech on Saturday, October 1. Information is here.
Dyersburg State Community College
Dyersburg State Community College will hold an informational session for ITT Tech students at their Jimmy Naifeh Center in Covington on Thursday, October 27th from 4 pm to 6 pm. The Jimmy Naifeh Center is located at 3149 Hwy. 51 S., Covington, TN 38019. For more information, students can contact Rebecca Reeves/Adult Student Coordinator at 731-288-7514 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
East Tennessee State University
East Tennessee State University invites ITT Tech students to attend its Fall Open House event for prospective students. The events will be held on Saturday, October 29 and Saturday, November 5. More information and the registration form can be found at admissions.etsu.edu/visitcampus/default.html.
Motlow State Community College
Motlow State Community College has created a page with information specifically for ITT Tech students: www.mscc.edu/itt/
Nashville College of Medical Careers
Nashville College of Medical Careers will have an Open House for ITT students on September 29, 2016 at 10.00 A.M. at 1556 Crestview Drive, Madison, TN 37115. For more information call 615-868-2963 or email email@example.com.
Pellissippi State Community College
Pellissippi State Community College has set up a website for ITT students interested in transferring to the college: http://www.pstcc.edu/itt/
Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College has set up a website for ITT students interested in transferring to the college: www.roanestate.edu/itt/
Tennessee Technological University
Tennessee Tech is inviting ITT Tech students to its Preview Day for prospective transfer students. The event will be held on October 1, 2016 and more information is available https://www.tntech.edu/previewday/. https://www.tntech.edu/previewday/
Volunteer State Community College
Volunteer State Community College has set up a website for ITT students interested in transferring to the college: www.volstate.edu/ITT
Western Governors University
Western Governors University has set up a website for ITT Tech students: http://www.wgu.edu/landing/itt
Institutions with Comparable Programs
Students can consider transferring to a new institution to complete their education. Students are encouraged to reach out directly to institutions in which they are interested in attending to determine whether credits will transfer and financial aid options available at that institution.
Please check under the FAQs at the bottom of the page for the most up-to-date lists. THEC is in the process of continuously updating the lists. Public institutions will be added early in the week of September 12.
According to ITT Tech, students can log into their Student Portal to access electronic records of classes taken and grades received. Until an official transcript is available, students can use this information when considering other programs and institutions.
Additionally, ITT Tech has contracted with Parchment to provide student transcripts. Parchment is allowing students to advance order transcripts, but the orders will not be filled until Parchment has received the transcripts from ITT Tech. Electronic transcript orders through Parchment will cost $10 with an additional $2.50 fee for hard copies of transcripts. Orders for transcripts can be made through Parchment at www.parchment.com/ITT.
Parchment has indicated that transcript orders are now being fulfilled, but there is a backlog for requests and fulfillment may take a few weeks. Parchment is also actively fulfilling digital diploma, enrollment verification and degree verification requests.
In the future, THEC expects to have ITT Tech student transcripts available. This item will be updated when more information is received; you can sign up for email alerts above to be notified of updates to the transcript process.
Webinars from the U.S. Department of Education
The U.S. Department of Education is hosted a webinar for students on the closing of ITT Tech. A recorded version of the webinar can be found here.
- College Pays - Information on financial aid and Tennessee-specific grants and scholarships.
- TN Reconnect – Resources for adult learners, including information to contact the adult learner office at Tennessee institutions.
- Launch My Career TN – Information on colleges and majors from institutions across Tennessee.
- StudentLoans.gov – Information on federal student loans from Federal Student Aid.
- Comparable Programs
Below are program groups offered by ITT. To see programs that might be an alternative to your ITT program, please select the appropriate program group. Note that THEC surveyed institutions across the state and asked that the institutions provide comparable programs. This is not a guarantee that you will be admitted to a program or that all your credits will transfer to the offering institution. To learn more about any of these programs you must contact the institution. Additional information on public institutions and other institution programs will be added shortly.
- Accounting Programs
- Business Accounting Technology Programs
- Business Administration Programs
- Business Management Programs
- Computer Programs
- Construction Programs
- Criminal Justice Programs
- Criminology and Forensic Technology Programs
- Drafting and Design Technology Programs
- Electrical Engineering Technology Programs
- Graphic Communications and Design Programs
- Industrial Engineering Technology Programs
- Information Systems and Technology Programs
- Medical Assisting and Administration Programs
- Network Systems Administration Programs
- Nursing Programs
- Paralegal Programs
- Project Management Programs
- Software Development Programs
- Visual Communications Programs
- Web Design Programs
- Veterans Benefits and GI Bill®
Where can I get more information for veterans affected by the ITT Tech closure?
Veterans can contact Deborah Gardner, THEC Director of Veterans Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-741-3606 for information and resources for veteran students affected by the closure.
Veterans can also contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Call Center is available at 1-888-442-4551 (Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. CST) for questions about your GI Bill® benefits, any overpayments, and remaining entitlement.
How do I get updates on how this will affect benefits through the GI Bill® ?
If you have questions regarding how the closure may affect benefits through the GI Bill®, please visit the following page: http://benefits.va.gov/gibill or call the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551.
- Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF)
The TGF was established by the Tennessee General Assembly to reimburse students at certain postsecondary educational institutions, such as Anthem Career College, that close without earning the tuition collected. This is called unearned tuition.
Please note that this will be a rare situation for most students affected by the ITT Tech closure.
- TGF applies only when the closing institution is authorized by THEC and (1) a student attended a physical location of the school in Tennessee or (2) a student is a Tennessee resident and attended a location of the institution outside of Tennessee.
- A claim for reimbursement of the unearned tuition must be made within two years of the date the institution discontinued operations.
- Unearned tuition includes tuition, registration, general graduation, activity, or other fees that are required to be paid by all students where the institution did not complete the educational obligation or reimburse students.
- Monies paid for tangible goods, such as books and equipment, are not reimbursable.
- Monies paid for program specific costs are not reimbursable by the TGF, e.g. certification fees charged separately to a student's account.
- Monies for expenses such as housing, meals, clothing and transportation, not paid directly to and retained by the institution are not reimbursable.
DPSA notes that generally ITT’s closure ended such that the tuition charged students was for instruction or services that the student received. Nevertheless, DPSA has identified one situation where a student may have a reimbursable TGF claim:
- The student paid the institution tuition for instruction that did not occur. For example,
- The student paid cash for a semester, but the institution closed before or during the semester and the student did not receive a refund.
- The institution received loan monies for a semester but the institution closed before or during the semester and the institution did not return monies to the student’s loan account.
If you believe you fall into one of these two situations you can file a TGF claim by completing the Tennessee Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Claim Application and the related Tuition Guaranty Fund (TGF) Information Release Authorization. Note that both documents must be completed before THEC will consider your claim. The length of time to review a claim will depend on the number of complaints received and the process could be lengthy. To download the forms, please visit: http://www.tn.gov/thec/article/postsecondary-links and click on the DPSA Applications/Forms.
- Federal Loan Questions
Who can I talk to about my federal student loans and Pell Grants?
If you have general questions about federal loans you should first try to contact your loan servicer. If your questions or complaints are not resolved, DPSA suggests that you contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group of the U.S. Department of Education. More information about this group is available at: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/disputes/prepare
- Student Loan Refund Checks
What should I do if I get a check from ITT for a student loan refund and I am unable to cash that check?
Students can file for Unpaid Refund Discharge. Got to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation#unpaid-refund and scroll down to Unpaid Refund Discharge.
As it may be difficult for a student to demonstrate that the refund is a Title IV refund, if the student has access to his or her account records in the ITT portal, the student should retrieve the account records.