A "Proprietary" Unarmed Security Guard/Officer is an individual employed by a proprietary security organization.
Requirements for unarmed "Proprietary" security guard registration
- Be at least 18 years of age for registration as an unarmed security guard
- Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien
- Be legally mentally competent, be of good moral character
- Be free of habitual drunkenness or narcotics addiction or dependence
- Have no disability which would prevent performance of duties
- Be free of convictions including:
- Probation for 5 years for serious crimes
- Crimes involving:
- Training - See Tenn. Code Ann. 62-35-103(b)(1) [below]
- Submit three fingerprint cards for processing for a TBI and or FBI criminal history check 62-35-103(b)(1)
Exemptions from chapter provisions
- (b) (1) The provisions of 62-35-118(a), only, shall not apply to a person employed as an unarmed security guard/officer by a proprietary security organization.
- (2) For the purposes of this subsection (b), an unarmed security guard/officer shall not carry a weapon of any kind.
- (3) It is the desire of the general assembly that unarmed proprietary security guards/officers hose primary duties involve contact with the public should have training in the areas of legal wpowers and limitations, and of emergency procedures as deemed necessary by their employers. The commissioner may provide such employers information concerning these areas.
[Acts 1987, ch. 436, 3; 1988, ch. 987, 2; 1989, ch. 142, 1; 1990, ch. 816, 1, 2; 1996, ch. 1009, 8, 9; 1997, ch. 118, 1; 1997, ch. 137, 1; 1997, ch. 274, 1; 1998, ch. 865, 1; 2001, ch. 452, 2; 2002, ch. 590, 1; 2004, ch. 661, 2.]