- State Phone Directory
- Search for a person, a department or a topic.
- A-Z Listing of Departments and Agencies
- Web sites, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of State Departments and Agencies.
Received an error message?
If you have received an error message on a TN.gov online service, you can get assistance with the error below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Birth and Death Certificates
- How do I get my birth, death, marriage, divorce certificate?
Go to the Vital Records Web site to order online or call (615) 741-1763.
- How do I file for unemployment?
You can file online here
Requirements after applying:
- To receive weekly benefits you must call each week to “certify” by answering a few work-related questions. Certify the Wednesday after you filed using your PIN. If you filed the same week as you applied for benefits, you likely earned some wages that we will ask about. Be sure and calculate this amount BEFORE you start your first certification. Learn more about wage reporting here.
- It’s also required to make three work searches each week to remain eligible for unemployment benefits. A jobs4tn.gov account will automatically be created for you to easily search for jobs.
- How can I contact someone about unemployment?
First, search for answers at https://lwdsupport.tn.gov/
If an article doesn’t have what you are looking for, choose “Submit a Request” on an article page and someone will answer by e-mail or call you. You can also chat live with an agent by clicking the chat window at the bottom right of your screen.
Unemployment agents are not available on the chat link found on the TN.Gov homepage.
- How long will it take for my unemployment request to be approved or denied?
The majority of unemployment claims are decided within 21 days, but it’s not uncommon to receive a decision within two weeks. You can track the status of your unemployment application here.
- Driver License
- How do I change my address on my driver license?
You can change your address online, but you will NOT receive a new license or sticker for the back of your license,. You will aos not receive a new handgun carry permit. If you would like the new address printed on your license, go to a Driver Service Center. See fees for a duplicate license.
- Where is my local DMV?
You can view a listing of Driver Service Centers in the state.
- How do I check my license status?
How much is my reinstatement fee?
Do I have any restrictions on my license?
- What do I bring to get a new license?
See the list of documents to bring for a Class D license.
- How do I obtain my driving record?
See the Dept. of Safety's Web site about getting a copy of your driving record.
- How do I make a road test appointment?
Make your appointment for a road test online. If you cannot make the appointment online, you can use the automated phone system at (615) 253-5221.
- How do I cancel a road test appointment?
You must have your confirmation number to cancel. If you made the appointment online, you can cancel it online.
- What does a minor need to get a learners permit?
You can find information about the graduated driver license program at the Dept. of Safety's Web site..
- Handgun Permits
- Human Services
- I lost my food stamp card, can you help?
How do I apply for food stamps?
How do I find out if I'm eligible for food stamps?
Can I apply for food stamps online?
How do I report food stamp fraud?
Go to the Food Stamps section of the Dept. of Human Services Web site.
- How do I license a daycare?
How do I report a daycare for violations?/dt>
Go the the Child Care section of the Dept. of Human Services.
- I lost my food stamp card, can you help?
- Dept. of Health
- How do I apply for Tenncare?
For more information visit www.tn.gov/tenncare/mem-apply.html.
- How do I renew my health care license online?
Renew online at the Online License Renewal and Information Update service.
- Who do I talk to about my health care license?
For assistance with your license, visit the Health Related Boards Web site.
- How do I check to see if a doctor has bad reviews?
- How do I report a doctor?
- How can I get information on a nursing home?
- Alcoholic Beverage Commission (ABC)
- How do I obtain a liquor license?
For more information visit http://www.tn.gov/abc/.
- Vehicle Titles and Registrations
- How do I renew my tags?
- Who do I contact to put a lien on a vehicle?
For more information visit http://www.tn.gov/revenue/article/repossed-vehicles/ or contact the Dept. of Revenue Division of Title and Registration at (615) 741-3101, toll free at 1-888-871-3171 or by e-mail at e-mail.T&R@tn.gov.
- How do I sign up for Section 8?
For more information visit http://www.thda.org/.
- Department of State and Business
- How do I close my business?
- How do I check to see if my business name is available?
- What do I need to start a new business?
- How do I file my annual report online?
- How do I check to see if a law has passed?
You can find this information at: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/help/index.html
- Commerce and Insurance
- How do I obtain tenant laws?
- You may print a copy at the link below:
- Who regulates utility companies?
- Utilities are regulated by The Tennessee Regulatory Authority (TRA). The Tennessee Regulatory Authority is charged with the responsibility of setting the rates and service standards of privately owned telephone, natural gas, electric, and water utilities. You may file a complaint against a utility at: https://www.tn.gov/tra/article/csd-online-utility-complaint-form. They are located at 502 Deaderick Street, Nashville, TN 37243. You may also reach them at 888-276-8359 or this link: https://www.tn.gov/tra/article/tra-contact-us
- How do I renew my security guard license?
- The Tennessee Private Protective Services division at Commerce and Insurance regulates security guards. You may renew your license on line at: https://apps.tn.gov/cirens/
The office is located at 500 James Robertson Parkway, 4th floor, Nashville, TN 37243.
If you have additional questions they may be reached at 615-741-6382.
- How do I renew my cosmetology license?
- You may renew your Cosmetology license on line at this location: https://apps.tn.gov/cirens/. Should you need additional information the Cosmetology and Barber Examiners Board’s web site is: http://tn.gov/commerce/section/cosmetology-and-barber-examiners. The office is located at 500 James Robertson Parkway, 4th floor, Nashville, TN. Their phone is 615-741-2515.
- How do I make a complaint on a business?
- If the business you want to file a complaint against is a licensed board at the Division of Commerce and Insurance, you will go to that individual board’s web site and complete a complaint form under consumer resources http://tn.gov/commerce/section/regulatory-boards. If you believe your complaint is a violation of the Consumer Protection Act, you may file a complaint at their web site http://tn.gov/commerce/topic/consumer-file-a-consumer-complaint.
- How do I get a contractor’s license?
- You may use the link below to complete an application for a contractor’s license: http://tn.gov/commerce/topic/cont-types-of-licenses. The Contractor’s Board is located at 500 James Robertson Parkway, 4th floor, Nashville, TN 37243. They may be reached at 615-741-8307 for additional assistance.
- How do I renew a contractor's license?
- You may renew your contractor’s license on line at this link: https://apps.tn.gov/cirens/.