E. Patrick McIntyre, Jr., Executive Director
2941 Lebanon Road
Nashville, TN 37243-0442
Overnight shipping of packages use 37214
615-532-1550 or Email THC
The Tennessee Historical Commission is accepting grant applications for historic preservation projects for the 2012-2013 fiscal year. These grants, which are federally funded, will be available after October 1, 2012. The precise amount of funds which will be available in Tennessee for such grants will not be known until Congress has passed the FY 2012-2013 budget; however, it is expected to be in the range of $400,000. After review, applications will be rated and ranked. Decisions on those to be funded will be made when the exact amount of the allocation is known. This may be as late as next spring depending on when the Congress completes work on the FY-2013 Budget.
As in the past, the selection process will emphasize projects for the conducting of architectural, archaeological, and historic site surveys. Such projects are designed to identify and record historic districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects significant to Tennessee's history and built before 1960. Surveys may be for a specific geographic area or for sites associated with themes or events significant in the state's history, such as the development of railroads in the nineteenth century, or the development of motor tourism in the twentieth century. Priorities for funding survey projects will include areas which are experiencing rapid growth and development or other threats to cultural resources, areas where there are serious gaps in knowledge regarding cultural resources, and thematic surveys based upon existing historic study units produced by the SHPO.
In addition to historic surveys, assistance is available for other types of historic preservation projects. These may include preservation planning studies for towns, neighborhoods, and historic districts, the preparation of nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, planning or pre-development work necessary to undertake restoration of an historic property, and restoration of historic properties (for restoration or restoration pre-planning, properties must be listed on the National Register of Historic Places). Unless appropriations are significantly increased, funds for restoration projects will be limited; however, THC always encourages quality applications of this type. Applications for projects to prepare nominations to the National Register of Historic Places are a priority and are also encouraged.
The grants are matching grants and will pay for up to 60% of the costs of approved project work. The remaining 40% must be provided by the grantee as matching funds.
Applications for grants are available from the Tennessee Historical Commission, 2941 Lebanon Road, Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0442 or downloaded from the box at the top of the page. For further information or for an application, contact the Tennessee Historical Commission at (615) 532-1550. Completed applications must be submitted by SEPTEMBER 1, 2012.
This program receives Federal funds from the National Park Service. Regulations of the U.S. Department of the Interior strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination in departmental federally assisted programs on the basis of race, color, national origin, age or disability. Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against in any program, activity or facility operated by a recipient of Federal assistance should write to: Director, Equal Opportunity Program, U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, P.O. Box 37127, Washington, D.C. 20013-7127.