The Firefighting Personnel Standards and Education Commission is responsible for the certification of volunteer and paid firefighters in the State of Tennessee.
The Commission's day to day operations are administered by Director Randy Fox. In addition to the office personnel, the Commission currently has two Field Coordinators who coordinate practical and written testing across the state. Fire departments wishing to host written or practical exams can fill out the Request to Host a Written or Practical Exam Form online. If you have questions about hosting an exam, please contact:
- Firefighting Commission Field Coordinators
Region Coordinator Phone Middle & East TN Michael Miranda 615-339-6021 Michael.Miranda@tn.gov West TN & TFACA Brian Nicholson 931-200-9337 Brian.Nicholson@tn.gov
- Information & Resources
- Becoming a Firefighter: 10 Must-Do Things
- 11 Requirements to become a Firefighter
- How to become a career Firefighter
- How do I become a volunteer Firefighter?
- Chief, Are You Doing Everything You Can To Protect Your Firefighters?
- Request to Host a Written or Practical Exam
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Rules and Regulations of the Commission
- Policies and Procedures
- Related Links
- National Fire Protection Agency
- International Fire Service Training Association
- Tennessee Firemen's Association
- Tennessee Fire Chief's Association
- Tennessee Professional Fire Fighters Association
- International Fire Service Accreditation Congress
- National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications
- Tennessee Fire Service and Codes Enforcement Academy
- U.S. Fire Administration